Understanding the Pupil Premium Funding Grant at Tettenhall Wood School
The Pupil Premium Funding Grant is a crucial initiative designed to boost the educational opportunities of disadvantaged pupils in publicly funded schools across England. Its aim is to bridge the attainment gap between these students and their peers.
Who Benefits from the Pupil Premium Funding Grant?
The grant specifically targets:
- Free School Meals Qualifiers: Children who have been eligible for Free School Meals at any point in the last 6 years.
- Looked After Children: Pupils under the care of the Local Authority for more than 6 months.
- Military Families: Children whose parents are serving in the armed forces.
The Department for Education emphasizes:
“Schools have the autonomy to decide how to use the Pupil Premium. They can best determine what additional provision should be made for individual pupils.”
(Source: DfE website)
Are You Eligible?
Parents and guardians in England can access free school meals for their children if they meet any of the following criteria:
- Receiving Income Support.
- Being on Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
- Holding an Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
- Getting support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- Earning Child Tax Credit (without entitlement to Working Tax Credit) with an annual income below £16,190, as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs.
- Acquiring the Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’—a payment one might receive for up to four weeks after ceasing to qualify for Working Tax Credit.
- Securing the Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
How Can You Help Your Child and Tettenhall Wood School?
Pupil Premium isn’t just vital funding for schools; it’s a golden opportunity for eligible parents to amplify the support their children receive during their educational journey.
If there’s a shift in your circumstances, and you suspect your child could qualify for free school meals—even if you opt out of the meal—do reach out to us. We can facilitate an FSM eligibility check. Remember, every eligible child translates to vital funds for our school, enhancing our ability to provide quality education.
Click here to check your eligibility for FMS https://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/education-and-schools/free-school-meals
Introduction to the Sport Premium Funding for Primary Schools
In an age where healthy living, physical activity, and overall well-being have become integral to our daily lives, the role of sports and physical education in schools is more significant than ever. Recognizing the immense potential of sports in holistic child development, the government introduced the Sport Premium Funding. This initiative specifically targets primary schools across the country, empowering them to enhance the quality and breadth of their sports provisions.
The aim is not only to foster a love for sports among children but also to instill in them the values of teamwork, discipline, and resilience. Through the Sport Premium Funding, primary schools are equipped with additional resources to innovate and expand their physical education programs, ensuring every child has the opportunity to lead a physically active life, both within the school environment and beyond.